Saturday, March 13, 2010

Midday naps assist learning...

New research from the University of California, Berkeley, shows that an hour’s nap can dramatically boost and restore your brain power. Indeed, the findings suggest that a biphasic sleep schedule not only refreshes the mind, but can make you smarter.

So what's biphasic I ask: 
biphasic |bīˈfāzik|
adjective
having two phases the patient's biphasic recovery curve.

Lovely. I know that's also really good for dream-therapy, or at least remembering your dreams. At one stage in my life for about a year I trained myself to wake up after each dream. First of all I set my alarm for 2am and 4am and wrote what I remembered, but then eventually I just awoke several times in the night wrote my dreams and went back to sleep. If our sleep sessions are shorter, it allows less of a line between awake mind and sleeping mind, and therefore opens a world of frequencies that rest in between. Frequencies that would usually only be accessible whilst sleeping can become available whilst we're awake.

Anyway, off now... but my new job means I can have a midday nap every day WHOO HOOO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Graphic designer, songwriter, creative thinker who wants to do some good in this crazy world. Sharing inspiration from design, science, art & social well-being.